McCREARY ORIGINS

A cousin of mine, who also descends from Hugh McCreary (b. 1744, Pennsylvania), has done extensive research on our McCreary ancestry. This includes research within Scotland and Ireland, as well as yDNA studies. It seems most likely that our particular line of McCreary was associated at one time with Rerrick Parish, Galloway, in southwest Scotland. See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mccreery/mccreery.html
Several surnames derive from the word Rerrick, which itself stems from a surname. Think “Mc-Rerrick”. McCreary guys of old Rerrick Parish had a variety of unrelated genetics. And McCreary-like surnames also originated in other places. Biologically unrelated persons with McCreary-like surnames might have been found living in close proximity with one another in Scotland, northern Ireland, and America.

My cousin’s 37-markers STR (Short Tandem Repeats) yDNA results may be viewed at www.ysearch.org under ID VVAHB. STR markers are useful for estimating number of generations back to a Most Recent Common Ancestor. Additionally, his yDNA was analyzed for SNP (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms), which markers define haplogroups. Haplogroup designations keep changing regularly, so it is easiest to just note that my cousin was positive (= “derived”, mutated) at SNP marker L21, within the R1b Haplogroup. As of early 2011 reclassification, the haplogroup subclade designation is R1b1a2a1a1b4. See www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html
The L21+ mutation can be found in both Celtic and West Germanic groups. See www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml
Our McCreary line may have been associated with the Brythonic Celts of southwest Scotland. There was migration into northern Ireland, and then our line turned up in Pennsylvania.

As of early 2011, our line of McCreary yDNA has no matches at all within the McCreary surname yDNA project. www.familytreedna.com/public/McCreary/default.aspx?section=yresults
In that project, Pennsylvania samples are as yet small, and more data is needed. Our McCreary line is genetically unrelated to McCreary (& variant spellings) of South Carolina & beyond.

The parentage of Hugh McCreary (b. 1744) has not been established beyond doubt, although plenty of researchers are prepared to state that William McCreary Jr. & Deborah Clark were Hugh’s parents. Lingering doubt was an impetus for the yDNA testing, which may yet prove helpful if more Pennsylvania samples turn up. It is thought that William McCreary Sr. (Hugh’s grandfather?) came to America in 1720 with his mother and brothers John and Thomas. Genetic testing of descendants from any of this bunch would be a great boon to our knowledge.  See:

Interestingly, my cousin’s yDNA matches 34 of 37 markers with a man in New Zealand, “…whose part-Maori family traces its descent from a visiting New England sea-captain in the 19th Century.” A Most Recent Common Ancestor might be scores of generations back, but it is still a closer match than my cousin currently has with other McCreary guys in the yDNA project. At the rapid rate of expansion of genetic genealogy, I am optimistic that yDNA matching our McCreary line will eventually emerge.

10 comments:

Joseph C. McCreary said...

My name is joseph C. McCreary and my kit number is:54126. I am a descendant of Thomas McCreary and my tree can also be found on Y-Search. Much has been written on John McCreary and Thomas McCreary but little is known about William. Some believe his line migrated south. Marjorie McCreary (11/19/1899-4/27/1979 ), an Ohio school teacher, did a lot of work on John and Fred Ickes wrote a book on Amos , a son of Thomas.

Timothy Mccrary said...

My name is Timothy McCray. Amos Mccreary Sr is my 5th greatfather from research I found. My 3rd great grandfather changed name from Mccreary to Mccreary. My email is mccrary2675@gmail.com

Unknown said...

My family comes from Hugh McCrary , Isle of Man, sometime in the earlyish 1700. Went to Pennsylvania and married Susanah Whitaker (Quaker) They moved to NC to raise their family. I know live in SC. I last checked this stuff in late 90s. Cause I got married, taught school, and had children.....and got tired so I just didn't make the time to research. Of late, I've been getting quite curious. Hope this helps someone or you may have info for me!!! Thanks so much

GM said...

Hello,
Your Hugh McCrary (m. Susanna Whitaker) appears in the tree by mstokes177 at www.ancestry.com You may want to do a limited subscription to have a look at details & do further research. According to this tree (not verified by me) your Hugh McCrary was born June 4, 1719, on McGee Island, Galway, Ireland. I find no such island, but Galway would be a good place to look. The marriage was reportedly on Aug. 17, 1749, Ashton, Chester Co., PA. The 1st of 7 kids was born 1754 in the part of Rowan Co. now in Davidson Co. NC. Hugh died Feb. 14, 1785 at Swearing Creek & was buried at Lexington. Hugh’s parents apparently preceded Hugh to N.C. where they both died. Parents: John Andrew McCrary/Macrorie (b. 1695; d. 1760 Rowan Co.); Anna B. Merrell (b. 1700 Galway Co.; d. 1728 Rowan).
An apparent descendant your Hugh McCrary is Kit # 880778 in the McCreary yDNA Project at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/McCreary?iframe=ycolorized This kit falls in a group of Haplogroup R1b (= M269) which has tested positive on the SNP (Single Nucleotide Polymorphism) marker L21 (Atlantic Celt). Men bearing this marker probably first entered Ireland in the Bronze Age. Note the header marked in green above Hugh’s group. This shows the sequence of SNPs branching down to marker DF85, called the “Terminal SNP”. Looks like your Hugh & kin are the only DF85s currently in the McCreary Project. My own McCreary line peels off from your line a bit after L21, & would not show up as genetic matches to your line either on yDNA or autosomal DNA. Northwest Ireland has a high proportion of R1b-L21.
Best regards, Gary Muffley Asheville NC

Keith McCrary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello,
My name is Bryan Smebakken.
I have papers related to McCreary's of Westmoreland County Pa.the family should have.Lineage and stories. Valley Forge included.
Bryan 651-707-4764

Unknown said...

Hello,
I have McCreary family papers
the family should have these.
Scotland,valley forge,gettysburg etc.
Bryan Smebakken
651-707-4764

Timothy Mccrary said...

I am Timothy Mccrary. From Ohio. My Great Great Grandfather changed last name from, “McCreary to McCrary". Due to Conflicts with his Brother. This is what I have found. I found a Book that was written about the Family tree of Amos McCreary SR. I also found my grandparents from “Find a Grave". I have some info and pics of their brothers and sisters.Would like more on John McCreary from Lancaster.

My Email is, mccrary2675@gmail.com

Grandfather- Paul Vincent Mccrary, Born and Died Union County Ohio.
Great Grandfather- Guy Enos Mccrary, Born and Died Union County Ohio.
Great Great Grandfather- Vinton Douglas Mccrary, Born and Died, Union County Ohio.
4th Grandfather- Benjamin F McCreary, Birth; 1 April 1835; Napier, Bedford County PA.
5th Grandfather- Amos McCreary, Birth; 1780; Mount Pleasant Township, Adams County PA.
6th Grandfather- Amos McCreary- Napier Township Bedford County PA.
7th Grandfather- Thomas McCreary, Dillsbury, Adams County PA.
8th Grandfather- John McCreary, Sadsbury, Lancaster County PA.

Lita Christine Imler said...

Hello, my 4th Great Grandfather is Amos McCreary , Sr. My name is Lita "Christine" McCreary Imler. I was born and raised on the original farm Amos Sr. bought in Bedford Co. on Shaffer Mtn. We had to sell out of the McCreary line in 2013 after the death of my father Randall Ross McCreary, II in 2008 and my mom Irene Moore McCreary in 2010. It was in the McCreary name for 201 years. Bought by Amos Sr. in 1812. Amos Sr. died in 1828 without a will and the order by the Orphans Court inBedford Co. states that he had about 400 acres I think of warranted land. It was to be decided how to divide among many children and grandchildren. One was referred to as the mansion place. I have no clue if that was our original farm or another that he had with a house on it. Several farms close us could be them, as the family names of McCreary and others married into McCreary womens family are all around our neighborhood. I really need to research the true locations. This is the order of ownership as well as direct desendents to my father and I. Amos, Sr., Amos, Jr., Abraham, Randall Ross I , William, Randall Ross, II, Christine Imler(me). My husband is Richard Nelson Imler.

Anonymous said...

Hi, We are probably relatives. I also live in SC and can trace heritage to Hugh McCrary and Susannah Whtaker. I have had the time to verify info found after Hugh McCrary. I understand the tired comment. I taught also.